b-hebrew - Re: historiography (Ken, again)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: historiography (Ken, again)
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 18:48:04 +0200

Isn't it odd that, even for those parts of the existence of the Kingdoms
of Israel and Judah that are confirmed by external epigraphy, we don't
possess even one Israelite or Judahite royal inscription?
Notice I'm not talking about administrative documents or letters, which
would have been written on perishable materials (only ostraca have
survived, and those not from high-ranking officials), but about the kind
of inscriptions that woulod have been written on stone or plaster, such
as the Mesha Inscription, the Tell Dan Inscription or the Deir Alla
Plaster Inscription (not royal).
If it weren't for chance mention of Israelite and Jodahite kings by
Assyrian. Moabite and Aramean epigraphy, then one could claim that the
Kingdoms of Israel and Judah never existed.
So I ask these questions.
1) Perhaps royal inscriptions were not part of the Israelite and
Judahite scribal/royal tradition? And/or
2) Perhaps too much is being claimed on the basis of chance findings or
non-findings?
3) Perhaps the blanket rejection of Biblical historiography is
unwarranted?

--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies