b-hebrew - 1 Sam 31:5: was Saul necessarily dead?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 1 Sam 31:5: was Saul necessarily dead?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:44:14 -0500

Well, here's an interesting question. Does the phrase in 1 Sam 31:5:

WAY.AR:) ... KIY M"T $F)UWL

necessarily mean that Saul was actually dead, or can it mean simply
that he appeared to the armour bearer to be dead?

This is actually a question of Hebrew!

Peter Kirk

_________________________________
Subject: Re[11]: Methods in biblical scholarship (Peter)
Author: <npl AT teol.ku.dk> at Internet
Date: 30/12/1999 15:13

Please Peter, read the text and not what you think is in the text. 1 Sam
31:5 states that Saul is dead (kŒ met sha–l), and v. 6 that that day Saul,
and his three sons died. The scenario in 2 Sam 1 is quite different. In 1
Sam 31 Saul kills himself by his own sword, in 2 Sam 1, he is supported by
his spear while the enemy tries to get at him, evidently badly cut up.

If your translation is different from the Hebrew text, please find a better
translation.

NPL

<snip>