b-hebrew - RE: Re[2]: 1 Sam 31:5: was Saul necessarily dead?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'peter_kirk AT sil.org'" <peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: 1 Sam 31:5: was Saul necessarily dead?
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 17:04:33 +0100

Peter

You cannot maintain this point. You are simply arguing against the wording
of the Hebrew text. You are also arguing against the logic of the narrative.
Why should anybody believe that an Amalekite would tell the truth. He is in
the eyes of the narrator a foreigner and lies, of course, and is punished
because of his stupidity. There is not even an inner narrative problem. So
forget the nonsense and see what you can read in the text, and not in
whatever extraneous ideas you may about this event.

I think I mailed earlier today why your interpretation is impossible and
that you have totally misunderstood the scenery of 2 Sam 1:6ff. Saul is not
hanging on his spear and pierced by it, he is supporting himself by his
spear, that is the sense of the Hebrew verb used in that connection and it
cannot be understood otherwise.

NPL who will be back in another year