b-hebrew - Re: historiography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: historiography
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:54:39 -0500

At 07:56 AM 12/30/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>At 12:02 AM 12/30/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>Do not conflate it with validating the events recounted in that
>>document. In fact, how about choosing a book like Qoheleth, which isn't
>>really about any specific events, or Proverbs.
>Choose any book you like if you wish. FInd the earliest manuscript of that
>text, and I will gladly admit that it existed at that time. But if you
>start blabbering that it must have existed in the time of Moses I will ask
>that you provide proof and not supposition.

Jim, when do you date Josephus? Why? (BTW how do you deal with the
contradiction between Ant. 1.17 and Ant 4.197? Do you think there was two
authors?)

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254