b-hebrew - Re: FW: Re[8]: Methods in biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: FW: Re[8]: Methods in biblical scholarship
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:22:11 -0500

At 07:50 AM 12/30/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>At 15.20 29/12/99 -0500, Moshe Shulman wrote:
>>>If you put it in context, it would help. You'll find strong defences of the
>>>temple in the DSS. The tirades are never against the temple, but against
>>>the people who were in control of it at one stage. There are a few well
>>The point I am making is that they were able to exist without the temple,
>>because they saw it as 'unusable'. The post destruction period would be no
>>different.
>Moshe, that may be your immediate point, but you have diverged from the
>conversation on the position that can be elicited about the writers of the

Maybe you have forgotten, my comment was with regards to your saying that
only the Pharisees were able to function after the destruction of the
temple because they had a theology to deal with it. I just pointed out that
this was an error. The DSS community should also have survived.

>scrolls as to their position in Judaism and thus the texts that they used,
>ie if the people represented by the DSS were not a minor sect, how can one
>exclude the texts known from elsewhere that they used, Jubilees, Enoch,
>Tobit, testaments of various patriarchs, etc?

Maybe Josepehus was right about their being a minor group?

moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254