b-hebrew - Re[3]: historiography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[3]: historiography
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:00:56 -0500

Dear NPL,

I am taking the unusual step of forwarding your personal comments to
the list because I think that the list deserves to see how you react
when someone presents to you evidence which goes against your
position.

Please, I don't have direct access to your thousands of pages or time
to wade through them. If you are not willing to answer my posting
yourself on this list, please give me the reference to any work of
yours, or of anyone else who supports your position, which gives
well-argued refutations of the proofs which Moshe and I have put
forward. Or am I to conclude that these arguments were somehow ignored
in your thousands of pages? If so, perhaps it is you who are excluding
yourself from the scholarly discussion.

Peter Kirk

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________
Author: <npl AT teol.ku.dk> at Internet
Date: 29/12/1999 23:31

For the xxx time today. read the literature. This is not ex nihilo--nothing
really is--is a conclusion drawn from almost 200 years of continuous
historical-critical scholarship. I simply do not have the time to rewrite
the -- according to Ian Hutchinson-- thousands of pages that I have already
published.

If you choose to ignore the literature--mine as well as my colleagues,
minimalists, maximaluists or whatever name you prefer--you have chosen not
to be part of the scholarly discussion.

And maybe it is now time to end this trend. It must be utterly boring to
outsiders.

NPL