b-hebrew - Re: historiography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: historiography
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:17:51 +0200

Dear Jim,
I think he's got you there. You are evading the point.
As for Cicero, we ARE talking about Cicero and any other ancient writer/ing
for
whom/which the earliest manuscript is hundreds of years after the autograph.
You MUST apply the same standards of judgment to Cicero, or the Rig-Veda, or
to ANY
written document that you apply to the Bible. And vice versa.
Yours,
Jonathan
--
Jonathan D. Safren