b-hebrew - RE: historiography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Ken Litwak' <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: historiography
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:33:09 +0100

Well, at least you have to produce a better argument than saying that
scholarship has not produced adequate answers. No, but it has produced
answers and delineated the borderlines of the discussion. I did not leave
out here harrison's introduction--although I personally will not waste much
time on it--instead I referred to a brand new conservative overview of the
field, so I think I was fair. I would ask people--the intellegent amateurs
(and that is OK) on the list to become acquainted with an overview of that
kind. It will make the discussion much more profitable for the
professionals. Now the discussion is largely redundant as the professionals
have seen almost every question and objections many times before. That is
probably one major reason why so few 1st rate scholars ever participate in
internet discussions. They probably think it is a waste of time because it
does not contribute to any advance of scholarship but mostly refers to
discussion that have been coming up several times during the last 200 years.
And when, say a German scholar of the very late 20th century is confronted
with arguments that can be related to the position of Henstenberg in the
middle of the 19th century, why should this modern scholar think it worth
while joining such a discussion? That is the reason why I continuously ask
people to become informed about the status quo of the scholarly discussion
as seen from many sides of the scholarly community.

NPL