b-hebrew - Re: historiography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: historiography
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 00:07:09 -0800

Niels Peter Lemche wrote:

> What do you think that we have been doing for the last 200 years (almost 400
> if you include Spinoza)?
>
> Of course I would agree with the gentleman that said that it was ridiculous
> to date the text according to the date of the manuscript extant. But this
> date is a fact (of some kind), and to change the age of the text to
> something earlier demands hypotheses and analyses, that's why the burden of
> proof rest on people that argue in favour of an earlier date, and if we have
> a satisfying explanation for the text that says that it need not be older
> than, say the 2nd or 3rd century BCE, why should we move further into the
> darkness?
Because not all of use consider the explanation satisfying. There are
linguistic and historical issues that ned to be done with. Instead, if
we (including you) assume an earlier date than the earliest MS, the
field should be open for setting a date for the autograph. We then
should look at all the date, including the language and spelling used,
and determine what seems a likely date for composition. Again
remember: this is a separate issue frrom the facticity of the contents
of the document.

Ken Litwak

Again it is a matter of presenting arguments that can be the