b-hebrew - RE: historiography

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Moshe Shulman' <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: historiography
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 22:30:39 +0100

because the history of Israel presented by the DH sucks. It has practically
nothing to do with the period before, say 900 BCE (otherwise, if you are not
convinced, read Finkelstein, not the new article in the JP, but Finkelstein,
and the collection in Finkelstein and Na'aman, and Finkelstein again, read
even Mazar's archaeology from 1990, which defends parts of the image of
Israel in the DH, but not in a very convincing way). When we have to quit
the patriarchs, the stay in Egypt, the Exodus, the conquest, the period of
the judges, and the united monarchy, well, at least a few critical minds
around get suspicious. It is very much like Herodotus and the history of say
the 6th century. he knows very little but writes a lot about Polycrates and
other people around like Solon and Croesus. Even more entertaining are
Homer, of course. Or Livy for that matter in his concoctions of the early
history of Rome. I am afraid that I have to side with Jim West: Keep your
models from maths were they belong. Don't ask people to start in the dark
age of nothing to build up a model for what we know, start with what we know
and move into the darkness. Alt and Noth and Albright preferred the first
way and ended up nowhere.

NPL