b-hebrew - Re[4]: What ARE the clues for sequence in BH?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: What ARE the clues for sequence in BH?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:44:33 -0500

Thank you. I realise that I was oversimplifying, but I was
concentrating (though not as explicitly as I should have done) on the
case of one or more Greek aorist participles followed by an aorist
indicative main verb. I think you would agree that this at least
normally indicates sequence. Also, if I remember rightly, the sequence
is not that of the verbs as written, for a participle written after
the main verb still implies sequence before the main verb.

Peter Kirk