b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: What ARE the clues for sequence in BH?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joe A. Friberg" <JoeFriberg AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "Jim West" <jwest AT highland.net>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: What ARE the clues for sequence in BH?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:41:17 -0600

Jim,

I would, given the opportunity, strongly contend for Peter Kirk's original
point: an aorist participle preceding the main verb necessarily implies
sequence of an action leading up to the action of the main verb.

But I bear in mind that the reference to Greek is here simply illustrative
material, and not the main point.

Nevertheless, **do you have any counterexamples to the above stated
principle?**

God Bless!
Joe A. Friberg