b-hebrew - Re: What ARE the clues for sequence in BH?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: What ARE the clues for sequence in BH?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 02:54:53 +0100

It would be hazardous to attempt to apply discourse marking as information
inherent in verb morphology. Imagine our own verb morphology: there are
three aspects used in English, but only one of these reflects sequencial
progress in a narrative. Yet it is the semantic content in the morphology
that permits the simple form of the verb to relate the narrative, while the
perfect relates non-sequential information (once you put things in sequence
the verb form becomes simple -- the only apparent exception being when
giving a running commentary saying what has happened and a sequence is
implied in the change of now).

Does anyone know of a language that codes narrative discourse information
into the verb rather than coding some aspect which incidentally is
appropriate for the discourse? I know of none. I would think then that
sequence is derived rather than principal to the verb form in this case as
well.

Cheers,

Ian