b-hebrew - Re[4]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Prototype Theory and Hebrew Tense/Aspect
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:48:44 -0500

Since the evidence from Russian which I promised to Dave off-list also
deals with this point, it is relevant to the wider discussion even if
not directly to Hebrew. So here goes with some Russian verbs...

brosit' (bros-) (perfective) throw
brosat' (bros-a-) (imperfective) be throwing

razbrosat' (raz-bros-a-) (perfective) scatter
razbrasyvat' (raz-bros-a-va-) (imperfective) be scattering

zabrosat' (za-bros-a-) (perfective) fill by throwing (etc)
zabrasyvat' (za-bros-a-va-) (imperfective) be filling by throwing

pobrosat' (po-bros-a-) (perfective) throw about
*?pobrasyvat'

(The vowel changes from -bros- to -bras- and -a- to -y- in the last
case are quite regular, and probably -a- and -va- are allomorphs. The
same sequence can be demonstrated with several prefixes: raz- "in
different directions", vy- "out", za- "on to" or "to the top" etc.)

I took the above data from an earlier E-mail. This is typical of
Russian verb formation, though in many verbs the first stage, the
simple perfective, is not attested or is obsolescent, and a prefixed
form (most often with the prefix po-) is used with neutral meaning.

What we see here is a building process by adding bound morphemes from
a closed set to the verb stem. The following sequence is attested:

1. Perfective with neutral type of action;
2. Imperfective with neutral type of action;
3. Perfective with type or direction of action specified by a prefix;
4. Imperfective with type or direction of action specified by a prefix.

Certain prefixes (of the closed set of 22 or so which are used)
clearly correspond to recognised types of action, e.g. za- (also vz-
and sometimes raz-) means inceptive, u- means instantaneous or
semelfactive, po- means continuation for a limited duration
(perfective) or intermittent action (imperfective). Other prefixes
have different meanings e.g. directional; most have mulitple meanings.
For further details see T. Wade "A Comprehesive Russian Grammar",
Blackwells 1992, especially sections 238-254.

I challenge anyone to make a clear distinction here between syntax and
semantics or between aspect and type of action!

Peter Kirk