b-hebrew - Re: Re[2]: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joe A. Friberg" <JoeFriberg AT email.msn.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 09:10:33 -0500

There is a textual issue here, whether "she" will call him Immanuel or
someone else will.

Jesus was recognized as God present on earth, so there is not a problem with
the latter variant. As to Mary making such an attribution about Jesus, you
might look to Lk 1.46-48 as an aknowledgement of the angel's promise to her
in 1.32-33,35 (cf. 1.45).

No, his first name was not Immanuel, but the meaning of this phrase was said
of him.

God Bless!
Joe Friberg