b-hebrew - Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 15:44:16 -0500

At 04:06 PM 10/29/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> This is an interesting idea in view of the modern opinions that the
>> idea of the virgin birth (clearly attested in Luke as well as Matthew)
>> came from the early Christians' reading of LXX. If this idea was not
>> in the LXX which they read, this would strengthen the argument that
>> Matthew and Luke were reporting actual events. Now I don't want to get
>> into Christian theology on this list, but here it does interact with a
>> Hebrew textual issue. Where did the idea of the virgin birth come from
>> if not from LXX?
>If my memory serves me right, isn't it so that [in the intertestamental
>period] there is also some evidence of Jewish writers expecting the Mesiah
>to be born by virgin birth? If so, then the concept of virigin birth is not
>so alien to Judaism as many in this discussion are assuming. Furthermore,
>there was a tradition in diaspora Judaism of the virginal conception of the
>patriarchs. (See Philo; De Cherubim 13).

You misunderstand this pasage. Philo is stating a principle similar to one
that appears in the Talmud when it says that three come together in the
creation of man, the father, the mother and G-d. Teh father and mother
bring the physical part and G-d the spiritual.
moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254