b-hebrew - Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 09:40:53 -0500

At 03:30 PM 10/31/99 +0200, you wrote:
>> er... ya musta misread the context- she is lamenting the "husband of her
>> youth"- i.e., the man she was promised to in the arragned marriage- but
>> which she never consummated because of the judgement of God.
>> she is a bethulah because she is a virgin! She remains a virgin because
she
>> does not marry (her poor dead husband now being unavailable).
>> I am not reading into the text- you are not reading the text aright.
>Your entire statement "the man she was promised to in the
>arranged marriage- but which

You arew aware that ALL marriages were arranged? Youa re also aware that
Bibilically once one became 'engaged' one was as if married. (That is the
point of the story of Joseph and Mary in the NT. Hew needed to divorce her
even though they had not married.)

>read into the text. Which
>verse talks about the arranged marriage? Which verse says
>the marriage was never
>consummated?

That she was stil a virgin would indicate that she had not yet consumated
it. Just as the story with Joseph and Mary.

>Then you must be able to point out a place where `almah
>refers to a woman who is not a
>virgin, or at least a woman who is married, and you must be

In Proverbs, the context is that the women, like a prostitute has relations
that are no longer observable.

>able to explain away
>places where the meaning "young woman" (merely referring to
>age) is unsuitable. Like
>Song 6:8 "There are sixty queens and eighty concubines, And
>`alamoth without number" -
>does that mean all the queens and concubines are old?

No they are young cortisens. Neither concubines nor Queens.

>Facts are facts - the Messiah is given four or five other
>names in Isaiah, and more
>are given in Jeremiah and Ezekiel. It's not gymnastics to
>recognize that fact and
>suggest that not all of them are given names (how would you
>explain it?).

Really? I would love to see the list. (I know only of ben Dovid, or notzer
Yishai.)
moshe shulman mshulman AT NOSPAMix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
CHASSIDUS.NET - Yoshav Rosh http://www.chassidus.net
Outreach Judaism http://www.outreachjudaism.org/
ICQ# 52009254