b-hebrew - Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kdlitwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: jim west <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:56:52 -0700

There are two large methodological problems with the following:

1. Don't we all know that arguments from silence are completely invalid? We
have no
clue who didn't know about the belief in Jesus' virgin birth.

2. We don't know, and have no way to know, precisely what the semantic
domain of
almah was when the LXX translators were working, nor can you determine that
matthew
introduced this change. It might be from his source, it might be from the
resin of
the LXX he was using (it seems clear that at this date, not even the Hebrew
text was
stabilized, let alone Greek translations). It is inappropriate to simply
argue that
Matthew chose patroness for almah because it fit his agenda better. That
means that
you are knowledgeable in Matthew's authorial intent and have labeled it
implicitly as
that of deception since presumably, if patroness is not an appropriate and
reasonable
rendering, he knew it was not. Is that your augment? Upon what do you base
it? How
can you determine what parthenos meant in the 1st century AD if you dismiss a
source,
and how can you know how almah might have been interpreted in the 2nd temple
period if
you dismiss a potential source? The way to determine semantic domain is not
bracket out sources you don't like before you start the analysis.

BTW, Jim, I fail to see the argument you are making about Immanuel or what
that has
to do with the question of what Isa 7:14 meant in context to its original or
later
readers.

I might finally add that the translator of Isaiah in the LXX seems to have
often
punted or interpreted. Perhaps the translator thought that parthenos was
what ws
meant, on the premise that introducing a prediction that a young woman would
give
birth is pretty meaningless. It probably happened in Judah almost daily.
What of
it? SO he felt, rightly that this must mean the other, _perfectly valid_
meaning of
almah: virgin. Why is that not acceptable as a valid option?

Ken