b-hebrew - RE: Hebrew alphabet

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Casanellas <pere.casanellas AT bcn.servicom.es>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: mbushell AT mindspring.com,"Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>, biblewrx AT cyberport.net
  • Subject: RE: Hebrew alphabet
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 23:33:47 +0200

Dear Matthew Anstey, Yousaf and other list members,

Here is the list of all the verses (26) in the Hebrew Bible which contain
all the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet (if you consider that sin and
shin are the same letter):

Ex 16:16
Dt 4:34
Js 23:13
2Re 4:39
2Re 6:32
2Re 7:8
2Cr 26:11
Esd 7:28
Ne 3:7
Est 3:13
Coh 4:8
Is 5:25
Is 66:17
Jr 22:3
Jr 32:29
Ez 17:9
Ez 38:12
Dn 2:45
Dn 3:22
Dn 4:20
Dn 7:19
Os 10:8
Os 13:2
Am 9:13
So 3:8
Za 6:11

I imagine this is a very complex or long search for a Bible program: the
program must do a list of all the verses which contain the letter alef, all
the verses which contain the letter bet, etc., and combine theses searches.
It seems to me incredible, but using BibleWorks 4.0 and my portable
computer (Pentium II, 64 MB RAM) it took only 29 seconds to find the 26
verses!

You can use the below search (inside the Advanced Search Engine). Copy the
text from "BW_Query_File_Version 1.070" until the end of the message to the
Windows Notepad or another plain text editor and save it to a file with any
name and the extension .QF. Open BibleWorks and the ASE and with the menu
file open the file to which you have given a name and the extension .QF.
Before running the query it is necessary to disable highlighting: go to the
"query" menu, submenu "properties" and disable "do highlights" (otherwise
the program hangs).

In the case of the letter samekh, I have searched for all the verses which
contain words with the letter samekh and another letter before or after it
(*?s* or *s?*) instead of searching for all the verses which contain just
the letter samekh (*s*) in order to exclude the verses which have only the
solitary samekh wich indicates a "setuma" or closed paragraph but not other
words with the letter samekh.

If you consider that sin and shin are two different letters, then the list
is smaller:

Dt 4:34
2Re 7:8
2Cr 26:11
Esd 7:28
Est 3:13
Coh 4:8
Is 66:17
Jr 22:3
Jr 32:29
Ez 17:9
Ez 38:12
Os 10:8
Os 13:2
Za 6:11

Regards,

_______________________________________

Pere Casanellas
E-mail: pere.casanellas AT bcn.servicom.es
pcasanel AT pie.xtec.es
Phone & fax: +34-93-417 90 00
Carrer Anna Piferrer, 11
E-08023 Barcelona
CATALONIA-SPAIN

=======================================

>Gday Yousaf,
>
>According to the Mp there are 26 verses like this, and they are listed in
>Ginsburg II:456. I however could only find 17 verses using Bibleworks. They
>are: Deut. 4:34, 2 Ki. 7:8, 2 Chr. 26:11, Ezr. 7:28, Neh. 3:15, Est. 3:13,
>Eccl. 4:8, Isa. 17:11, Isa. 66:17, Jer. 22:3, Jer. 32:29, Ezek. 17:9, Ezek.
>38:12, Dan. 5:7, Hos. 10:8, Hos. 13:2, Zech. 6:11.
>
>HOWEVER, some of these may be wrong as the program picks up the setumah and
>petumah markers in the search. So you'll have to hand check them.
>
>There is no corresponding Mm note for this statistic that I know of.
>
>The Mp note to look for is: ko pswq d'yt bhwn '//b, which translates, "26
>verses there are in which is the alphabet". See Kelley, Mynatt, & Crawford,
>p.72. They only note Jer 32.29.
>
>With regards,
>Matthew Anstey
>

>>Dear friends,
>>
>>I read in a book that there are several verses in the Hebrew Bible, that
>>contains all (22) of the Hebrew alphabets along with its final forms. Can
>>someone send me the Hebrew Bible references for that?
>>
>>SHALOM,
>>
>>Yousaf.
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as:
pere.casanellas AT bcn.servicom.es
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

BW_Query_File_Version 1.070
Title

Description 0 0
GreekPunctuation
*()\$%@#
EnglishPunctuation
!,.:;?
WEuroPunctuation
!,.:;?„…•–—¡¿
EEastPunctuation
.,:;?„…•–—
RussianPunctuation
!.,:;„…•–—
VietnamesePunctuation
!.,:;…•–—
CrossVerseBoundaries n
SearchAccents n
SearchVowels n
SearchQere n
SearchKethib y
NumObjects 25

ID 0
Type word
XYWH 10 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁtÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 1
Type word
XYWH 132 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁÔfvÖÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 2
Type word
XYWH 254 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁrÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 3
Type word
XYWH 376 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁqÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 4
Type word
XYWH 498 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁcÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 5
Type word
XYWH 620 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁpÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 6
Type word
XYWH 742 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
Á[Á
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 7
Type word
XYWH 986 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁnÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 8
Type word
XYWH 1108 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁmÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 9
Type word
XYWH 1230 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁlÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 10
Type word
XYWH 1352 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁkÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 11
Type word
XYWH 1474 110 174 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁyÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 12
Type word
XYWH 1596 110 153 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁjÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 13
Type word
XYWH 1718 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁxÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 14
Type word
XYWH 1840 110 153 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁzÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 15
Type word
XYWH 1962 110 174 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁwÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 16
Type word
XYWH 2084 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁhÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 17
Type word
XYWH 2206 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁdÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 18
Type word
XYWH 2328 110 153 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁgÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 19
Type word
XYWH 2450 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁbÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 20
Type word
XYWH 2572 110 167 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁaÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 21
Type word
XYWH 540 288 153 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁÌsÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 22
Type word
XYWH 270 396 153 64
Type word
Use normal
Version WTT
NumIncludesExcludes 1 0
ÁÌsÁ
Invert n
CaseSensitive n

ID 23
Type merge
XYWH 324 270 88 44
Type or
Version WTT
Invert n
VerseProx 0

ID 24
Type merge
XYWH 10 10 100 44
Type and
Version WTT
Invert n
VerseProx 0

OutLinks
0 1 24
1 1 24
2 1 24
3 1 24
4 1 24
5 1 24
6 1 24
7 1 24
8 1 24
9 1 24
10 1 24
11 1 24
12 1 24
13 1 24
14 1 24
15 1 24
16 1 24
17 1 24
18 1 24
19 1 24
20 1 24
21 1 23
22 1 23
23 1 24
24 0

OutAgreeLinks
0 0
1 0
2 0
3 0
4 0
5 0
6 0
7 0
8 0
9 0
10 0
11 0
12 0
13 0
14 0
15 0
16 0
17 0
18 0
19 0
20 0
21 0
22 0
23 0
24 0

OutOrderLinks
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

version 1.01 subquery flag
ID 0
ID 1
ID 2
ID 3
ID 4
ID 5
ID 6
ID 7
ID 8
ID 9
ID 10
ID 11
ID 12
ID 13
ID 14
ID 15
ID 16
ID 17
ID 18
ID 19
ID 20
ID 21
ID 22
ID 23
MakeSubquery n
ID 24
MakeSubquery n

version 1.02
Suppress highlighting

version 1.03 custom punctuation
ID 0
ID 1
ID 2
ID 3
ID 4
ID 5
ID 6
ID 7
ID 8
ID 9
ID 10
ID 11
ID 12
ID 13
ID 14
ID 15
ID 16
ID 17
ID 18
ID 19
ID 20
ID 21
ID 22
ID 23
ID 24

version 1.04 brother text filter
ID 0

ID 1

ID 2

ID 3

ID 4

ID 5

ID 6

ID 7

ID 8

ID 9

ID 10

ID 11

ID 12

ID 13

ID 14

ID 15

ID 16

ID 17

ID 18

ID 19

ID 20

ID 21

ID 22

ID 23
ID 24

version 1.05 map GNT to BNM with brother text filters
MapGNTToBNM y

version 1.06 agreement Spgn flags
ID 0
ID 1