b-hebrew - Re[2]: Assyrian Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Assyrian Hebrew?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:20:02 -0400

Henry is of course right that this shift cannot be fully explained in
a short E-mail. But it is interesting that this long A to O shift
seems to occur rather regularly, including a second time in Hebrew.
Thus we have the following changes in Hebrew:

2nd millennium BCE long A becomes (long) O (holem)
1st millennium BCE ? some short A's lengthened to long A
1st millennium CE ? new long A becomes O in Ashkenazi pronunciation

A similar change has happened to the Arabic long A when borrowed into
Farsi and Uzbek: Arabic SALAAM has become SALOM in both these
languages (with the more open of the two O vowels in both languages;
the Farsi vowel is sometimes transliterated as a long A but is
generally pronounced more like O).

An analogous process happened in English in the 14th-17th century,
when long A acquired a different sound quality from short A, but in
this case the change was different, long A became more like an E
sound. Thus for example the difference in sound between "fat" and
"fate" was originally in length (at least after the final short E
vowel was lost), but the long A in "fate", which is still reflected in
the spelling, has come to be pronounced more like an E (though also as
a diphthong).

Basically what is happening each time is that the distinction between
long and short vowels tends to become lost and so to make the
distinctions of meaning clear people start to pronounce the long
vowels with a different quality. Often the long A moves backwards in
the mouth and the short A moves forward (in English the long A moved
upwards instead of backwards). The back A already sounds rather like
an O and often acquires rounding (as that seems to come naturally with
back vowels) and turns into a true O vowel, but low in the mouth, like
the sound in English "law" or "all" (though that depends rather on
your English accent). I would guess that the second vowel in SHALOM
was originally pronounced rather like that but later moved higher in
the mouth (more like the Spanish "o", French "eau"), especially when
qamets also acquired an O sound in Ashkenazi pronunciation (and also
in Sephardi pronunciation when short, qamets-hatuph).

Peter Kirk