b-hebrew - Re: Assyrian Hebrew?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Henry Churchyard <churchyh AT ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Assyrian Hebrew?
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 23:58:17 -0500 (CDT)

Yes, the original, linguistically reconstructed, theoretical
proto-Semitic form of the word for "peace" has a long a-vowel in the
second syllable (as in Arabic salaam), but the shift of the long
a-vowel in this syllable to a long o-vowel has nothing whatever to do
with Assyrian influence. This shift occurred in various languages of
the "Canaanite" linguistic sub-group (Phoenician, Hebrew, etc.)
sometime in the second millennium B.C., long before the Assyrian
conquest of the Northern Kingdom (Israel) -- and this sound change
does _not_ in fact occur in the Assyrian language.

I knew I would probably be sorry if I downloaded the .GIF, but
curiosity won out over discretion and I did it anyway -- and all I
found was a late form of the "Paleo-Hebrew" alphabet, accompanied by
an utterly corrupt and almost incomprehensible gibberish
transliteration scheme.

But I can tell you how the word "Assyrian" actually has some remote
shadow of relevance in all this -- it comes from the fact that the
early Rabbis sometimes termed the Aramaic (or "square") alphabet as
the "Assyrian" alphabet. But in this context the term "Assyrian" is
merely equivalent to "Aramaic" -- there is no reference here to the
non-Aramaic (Akkadian) language which is called "Assyrian" in modern
scholarship. Furthermore the "Assyrian" alphabet replaced the
"Paleo-Hebrew" alphabet a number of centuries _after_ the Assyrians
conquered the Northern Kingdom (Israel), long after the Assyrians were
no longer a political/military power.

Also, the Proto-Semitic theoretical reconstructed language and the
"Paleo-Hebrew" alphabet don't particularly have anything to do with
each other.

P.S. You actually shouldn't send attachments, especially not binary
attachments, to this list.

--
Henry Churchyard churchyh AT ccwf.cc.utexas.edu http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/