b-hebrew - Re[4]: Josephus & 1Esdras (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: Josephus & 1Esdras (Peter)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 19:31:26 -0400

Can you please clarify one point here. Did Josephus have in front of
him the Hebrew of the books (or most of them) now in the Tanakh, or
might he have had them only in Greek translation (LXX or something
similar)? Is there any clear evidence on this point? If he did not
have the rest of the Tanakh in Hebrew, it is hardly significant that
he did not have the Hebrew version of Ezra.

Also, do you have the reference in Josephus to a supposed list of
books which excludes Ezra? I refer to what you wrote: "He gives us an
outline of the most accepted Jewish works that seems to reflect some
notion of canon, but he didn't have Ezra!" The nearest I can find is
from "Against Apion" 1:8:

8. For we have not an innumerable multitude of books among us,
disagreeing from and contradicting one another, [as the Greeks
have,] but only twenty-two books, (8) which contain the records
of all the past times; which are justly believed to be divine;
and of them five belong to Moses, which contain his laws and the
traditions of the origin of mankind till his death. This interval
of time was little short of three thousand years; but as to the
time from the death of Moses till the reign of Artaxerxes king of
Persia, who reigned after Xerxes, the prophets, who were after
Moses, wrote down what was done in their times in thirteen books.
The remaining four books contain hymns to God, and precepts for
the conduct of human life. It is true, our history hath been
written since Artaxerxes very particularly, but hath not been
esteemed of the like authority with the former by our
forefathers, because there hath not been an exact succession of
prophets since that time;...

This seems to show that the Hebrew scriptures (which Josephus is
contrasting with unreliable Greek writings) consisted of a series of
reliable books covering the period up to Artaxerxes - which is the
time of Ezra (according to MT). This strongly suggests to me that
Josephus knew of some form of the story of Ezra in Hebrew, though this
was probably not what was in front of him when he wrote. And then what
exactly were the 22 books he had in mind? Later Jewish sources count
24 books, including Ezra and Nehemiah together. "New Bible Dictionary"
refers to Origen, Epiphanius and Jerome in suggesting that Josepus
counted togther Judges and Ruth, also Jeremiah and Lamentations, and
on this basis Josephus must have counted Ezra/Nehemiah, as a single
book, as part of his presumably Hebrew canon.

Peter Kirk