b-hebrew - Re[2]: Josephus & 1Esdras

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Josephus & 1Esdras
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:49:27 -0400

How about Daniel and Ezra, in the forms found in MT? I don't know
exactly what period you are talking about and to what period you
assign the texts, but from what I remember you wanted to assign Ezra
to not long after Josephus and Daniel to not long before. The mixed
forms only make sense if they were intended for a bilingual
readership.

Then we also have to think of the Aramaic words in the Gospels. These
are mostly translated, suggesting that the readership of the final
form was not bilingual, but surely a good explanation for their
presence is that they were taken from sources intended for a bilingual
Palestinian audience. Probably worth looking at a good NT commentary
for that point.

On general sociolinguistic grounds (and my experience living in a
bilingual city), I would expect a considerable degree of bilingualism,
especially in the cities which must have had a mixed population. This
would probably be deeper than the basic words needed in the market but
well short of the double native speaker proficiency which Henry seems
to be suggesting.

Peter Kirk