b-hebrew - Re: Josephus & 1Esdras

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew, list" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Josephus & 1Esdras
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 06:06:29 +0800

Ian wrote:

> Beside the physical presence of perhaps 20% Aramaic in the texts from
> Qumran, I see no indication of any bilingualism whatsoever. I could
imagine
> that a speaker of Hebrew could read Aramaic just as I can struggle
through
> French material because I know Italian (and going to Spain I could
speak to
> Spaniards in Italian and be understood, though I couldn't understand
spoken
> Spanish). But for bilingualism, I know of no traces in any of the
texts to
> indicate it. Are there in fact any bilingual texts from the period?

Since you are basing your impression in part on your own modern-day
experience, and then combining that with an argument of silence, perhaps
you are looking at the wrong part of your experience. Rather than
taking comparisons with two languages in which you claim not to be
proficient, perhaps you would have done better to use your writings in
English and Italian. While I have not seen any of your Italian
writings, I can definitely state that your English writings reflect no
traces of bilingualism with any other languages. Yet I have no doubt
when you claim to be proficient in Italian, because nothing precludes
that.

What I have generally observed is that people who are truly bilingual
tend to stay in one language or another during a conversation or
discourse. I think of a recent case where I asked a friend to interpret
for me in a business dealing with a person from the Ilocano language of
the Philippines. The friend got so much into his Ilocano mode that he
forgot to switch back to Ibanag (our common language) in his explanation
to me. Yet Ibanag is his first language, and the language that is
spoken in his house and normal business dealings.

If someone is truly multilingual, not just conversant in many languages,
you should probably *not* expect to see cross-over and borrowings.

Just my thoughts,

Paul
----
On July 14:
1789 Bastille Day-French Revolution begins with the fall of Bastille
1865 1st ascent of Matterhorn
1911 46" of rain begins to fall in Baguio, Philippines

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Isabela, Rep. of Philippines

zellmer AT digitelone.com