b-hebrew - Female Sailors

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Female Sailors
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:15:42 -0700

Gday all,

I am working on Jonah, and it struck me that even the NRSV assumes that the
sailors were all male. Can anyone inform me as to the possibility
(historically? biblically? etc?) of female sailors in this story? The Hebrew
uses all unmarked nouns and verbs, so linguistically it seems possible. As
far as I can see, only the TEV uses gender-inclusive language throughout by
always referring to "sailors" and never "the men". However in an interlinear
we need to decide whether ha'anashim is glossed here as 'the.men' or
'the.people'. Thanks very much,

With regards,
Matthew Anstey
on behalf of Summer Institute of Linguistics.
BART (Biblical Analysis and Research Tool) Software Development
Carl Follingstad, Coordinator cfollingstad AT compuserve.com
Todd Hoatson, Programmer Todd_Hoatson AT sil.org

  • Female Sailors, Matthew Anstey, 07/15/1999