b-hebrew - Re[2]: bet in Prov. 8:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: bet in Prov. 8:2
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 10:44:02 -0400

I assume this refers to EZK 41:9. But why turn to the BHS margin?
There is no Hebrew MS evidence for anything but B."YT here or in the
other four references I quoted, and there is no dispute that it means
"between" except in Proverbs, so the LXX reference (for which you
don't need printed BHS!) is not much help.

On the other hand, as we discussed a few months ago B."YT is often
used in place of B.:B"YT "in the house of", especially but not only in
the phrase B."YT YHWH. So it is possible that B."YT in Proverbs 8:2
refers to a house at the crossroads. However, it is very unlikely that
this can explain the other references.

Peter Kirk