b-hebrew - Re: bet in Prov. 8:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: bet in Prov. 8:2
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 99 10:40:35

On Wed 12 May 99 (22:47:23), whu AT gcts.edu wrote:
> Can someone please help me with the 'bet' in Prov. 8:2? BDB (p. 108) says
> it is the fem. form of the prep. 'ben'. But do prepositions also have
> grammatical genders? If yes, how do they function?

Dear Wesley

In the title you ask about BeYT; but in your text you seem to be asking
about the preposition B: in the first word of the verse, B:Ro'$-M:RoWMiYM

BeYT is the construct singular of BaYiT, a house, temple, dwelling-place;
or just a stopover place like a crossroads. Here in construct with
N:TiYBoWT, footpaths, it means a Crossroads, where there might be a refuge
for travellers, or at least somewhere to pitch a tent.

B: in B:Ro'$-M:RoWMiYM is the locative preposition, at the place where:
here, at the "head" or top of M:RoWMiYM, hills or vantage points. (B: can
also mean "at the time when..."; according to the context.)

Prepositions do not have grammatical genders; but they can have pronominal
suffixes which may be masc, fem or common gender.

HTH

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF