b-hebrew - Re: Re[4]: BH, Jouon on syntax?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Douglas L Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Re[4]: BH, Jouon on syntax?
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 08:36:35 -0600

Dave,

Doug here. Just a few comments to keep the ball rolling.

On Tue, 11 May 1999 06:41:41 -0700 "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
writes:
> Peter wrote:
> > I agree here with Doug, and want to add some further points
> addressed
> > to Dave:
> >
> > 1) If you define the most basic verb form as the one with fewest
> > affixes, well, in very many languages (arguably including Hebrew),
>
> > that is the imperative. But imperatives generally also have
> > non-standard word order, subject deletion and all sorts of special
>
> > features which make them unsuitable for judging basic word order.
> So I
> > think your methodology needs to be reexamined.
>
> That's not how I defined the most basic verb form.
It may not be how you defined the most basic form but was it not the
criterion by which you judged qatal the most basic form? That's
certainly my impression based on what you had written previously.

> > 2) I am also far from convinced that the qatal form is
> fundamentally
> > the most basic form; perhaps it only appears so because of the
> > accidental null form of the 3rd person singular masculine suffix.
> In
> > Arabic there is a final short a in the equivalent qatala form,
> which
> > is deleted in Hebrew by a purely phonological process, if I am not
>
> > mistaken.
>
> Then what would you say is the foundational form of the verb?
I don't want to sound like a schoolkid in a fight here, so forgive the
wording here, but "you started it". Peter is simply saying here that
he's not convinced qatal is the fundamentally the most basic form. It
was your assertion that it is; to play the skeptic about your assertion
does not require me or anyone else to have a positive assertion for the
'most basic form'.

> > 3) For the sake of argument, let us look at clauses in which the
> verb
> > form is qatal. A typical Hebrew clause consists of a conjunction
> > (asyndeton is rare, and by far the most common conjunction is
> we-), a
>
> Rare in all possible types of ancient Hebrew, or just in the
> specialized type of literature that we work with? The nature of the
>
> corpus has to be considered as well.
Do you know what other types of ancient Hebrew we have to work with?! We
have what we have; it seems speculation beyond this doesn't really
advance things. Am I overlooking something?

I passed on the last round since I'm not 'up' on Peter's qatal-weqatal
theory anyway.

Peace,
Doug
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]