b-hebrew - Re[2]: BH, Jouon on syntax?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: BH, Jouon on syntax?
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 01:11:32 -0400

Would you care to justify the following, Dave? What is your evidence
that wayyiqtol is "clearly a transformed-and-moved constituent"?

Surely our recent discussions have led towards the conclusion that the
basic unmarked sentence structures are verb-initial with wayyiqtol or
weqatal, and that other orders are marked. Indeed I suspect that the
key to use of X-qatal instead of wayyiqtol (or X-yiqtol in place of
weqatal) is some form of fronting for focus of the X component - the
verb becomes non-focused and so background.

Peter Kirk