b-hebrew - Re[4]: BH, Jouon on syntax?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[4]: BH, Jouon on syntax?
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 17:20:59 -0400

I agree here with Doug, and want to add some further points addressed
to Dave:

1) If you define the most basic verb form as the one with fewest
affixes, well, in very many languages (arguably including Hebrew),
that is the imperative. But imperatives generally also have
non-standard word order, subject deletion and all sorts of special
features which make them unsuitable for judging basic word order. So I
think your methodology needs to be reexamined.

2) I am also far from convinced that the qatal form is fundamentally
the most basic form; perhaps it only appears so because of the
accidental null form of the 3rd person singular masculine suffix. In
Arabic there is a final short a in the equivalent qatala form, which
is deleted in Hebrew by a purely phonological process, if I am not
mistaken.

3) For the sake of argument, let us look at clauses in which the verb
form is qatal. A typical Hebrew clause consists of a conjunction
(asyndeton is rare, and by far the most common conjunction is we-), a
subject, an object, and oblique elements in addition to a verb - all
elements are optional. In sentences in which the verb comes first, the
conjunction is attached to the verb. Thus for a true comparison
between verb-first clauses and verb-second clauses one needs to look
at weqatal forms as equivalent to qatal forms, or ignore all clauses
with the conjunction we-.

If you, Dave, have a published paper justifying your arguments, please
let us have the reference.

Peter Kirk