b-hebrew - Re: BH, Jouon on syntax?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BH, Jouon on syntax?
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 03:12:11 -0400

Dear Dave,
Yes, I am acquainted with Chomsky (and with misuses of his theories), but I
am not aware of his
use of TGG in translation of foreign languages.
I still don't see how searching for some "basic" verb form helps to answer
any questions.
I still don't see how denying the VSO word order leads to better
understanding of the text. By
the way, TGG does not tell us the standard Hebrew word order. It can only
help us "after" we
already know the standard word order, and that order may with the kind of
speech act.
You still haven't answered my questions about qatal with and without the
(redundant) subject.
Lee R. Martin