b-hebrew - Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: Gregory and Carol Yeager <cgyeager AT mwci.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:48:33 -0400 (EDT)

Shalom SHalom....

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Gregory and Carol Yeager wrote:
> All I know is your logic is incoherent. Yah is the first phoneme, Weh
> is the second, wether you read it right or left. So your "and" particle
> comes second, after the "Yah" particle.

'Wau/Vav' is not the second. 'HA' is the second. (Y-H-W-H).

Now tell me, what do each of these individually mean? WHat does 'YAH'(YUD
- the first phoneme) mean and what does 'HUWA'(HA-WAU Mean?). If you
follow the YAH + WE logic, it means absolutely nothing. If you
follow the "YA-HUWA"(YAHU) line of thinking, it means plenty. YA(YUD),
is a special consonant in all Semetic languages. We say "YA" to
denote any sign of respect in the Shemetic languages. If I say "Hello
Gregory" I do not say "Shalom Gregory," I say "Shalom Ya Gregory." That is
how THE LORD should be called upon, with respect, when we say "YA-HUWA"(Oh
He who is). I think and am pretty sure it is the same in Arabic.

> As for the Waw, I always wondered what it was about waw that makes it a
> matres lectionis for both U and O. My mouth sort of forms the same

Makes it a what?

> shape for both, but that doesn't help me with a consonantal idea. Was
> it a liquid consonant? I suppose so, but I havne't heard what experts
> think. Maybe someone would chime in.

I am not a linguist, sir. So I don't quite understand the terminology you
use. Thank you anyway.

Shalom!