b-hebrew - Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 21:24:46 -0700

Two things I can say are:

1. I have never seen anyone before suggest that ancient waw was
pronounced as "UU". Would you please tell me he source of this
information?

2. The pronunciation Yahweh is based, in part on Origen's
transliteration.

3. The name, from Ex 3:14, appears to mean something more like "I am
the becoming one" I'm not an expert in Hebrew but some such idea seems
to be expressed by the name in its context.

Ken Litwak
University of Bristol