b-hebrew - Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 08:50:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Ken Litwak wrote:
> 1. I have never seen anyone before suggest that ancient waw was
> pronounced as "UU". Would you please tell me he source of this
> information?

SHalom Ken!

Well basically the teachings I have came from my father when I was
younger. He was part of an International Hebrew Israelite organization,
and he taught the concepts to me. I never joined with him, but only
learned what he taught me. WHen I first got connected to the Internet, I
found a web site which also teaches the same principles and doctrine.
Although they are not the same as my father's org., it is very
similar(the major difference is they recognize ha-Mashiach as Yahushua ben
Davud). The OTHER web site with the teachings is:

http://www.yaohushua.org.uk

Tell me what you think of them. I am still trying to learn myself.

> 2. The pronunciation Yahweh is based, in part on Origen's
> transliteration.

Well Origen is a Greek CHristian philosopher, and according to what I was
taught, a "Christian" interpretation, per se, would downplay the
significance of the Creator's name - YAHU - thus eliminating the name and
pronunciation/glorification of his name from ha-TNKH.

> 3. The name, from Ex 3:14, appears to mean something more like "I am
> the becoming one" I'm not an expert in Hebrew but some such idea seems
> to be expressed by the name in its context.

Well, like I explained to brother Moshe on the list. The reason I was
taught to use "YAHU," is more religious/spiritual than linguistic. "YAHU"
would literally mean "OH HE WHO IS" in both Ivirit(Hebrew) and Arabic
languages. And This was supposed to be the correct announcement to
correlate with when Moshe ha-Navi(Moses the Prophet) came in contact with
Ruach Qadesh, and that is how the Lord revealed himself - "I am WHo I am"
(ana lazee huwa lazee).

Thank you for your help!

shalom.