b-hebrew - Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "yahua'sef" <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: YHWH vs. Yahweh
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:48:00 -0500

yahua'sef wrote:

> Shalom Alaikhem,
>
> I have been having a conversation with a brother named Moshe on this list,
> and I'd like to get everyone else's opinions on this subject(I am pasting
> some of my comments here from our private emails). Could anyone share
> their views on how right/wrong off I am in my assertions?
>
> I was always taught that there existed no such name as "Yahweh" since that
> is obviously an anglicized version of the ancient Hebrew
> Tetragrammaton(YHWH) and an incorrect transliteration.
>
> There is no "W" sound in archaic hebrew (which the scriptures were written
> in) like we have in english. The "W" is just what you say it is a
> "double U" So the original pronunciation of the letter is "OOH or UU" not
> "WAH" as we say in english. So it is not YAHWEH, but YAHU/YAHOO/YAHUUE or
> YAOHU/YAHUWA, at least as I have been taught.
>
> And that no matter which way you spell it the pronunciation is still the
> same "YAHU" not "YAHWEH pronounced "YAH-WAY". Even if someone did not
> want to go into the phonetics of it all, YAHWEH literally does not make
> sense. "YAH" in hebrew means "be, exist, is" "WEH" in modern hebrew means
> "AND". So if you read YAHWEH (hebrew like arabic and aramaic is read from
> right to left) it would give you the meaning "AND IS, AND EXIST, or AND
> BE." To break down YAHU you would have "YAH" which means "be, is, and
> exist" and "HU" which in archaic hebrew is a derivative of "HUD" which
> means "ONE" So a literal translation would be " The ONE IS, THE ONE
> EXIST, THE ONE BE"
>
> PSALMS 68:4, EX 6:3, and EX 3:15 all use the name "YAOHU" or "YAHU" and it
> would not make any sense to insert "YAHWEH" into those passages. Many of
> the prophets(Nevi'um) had the name of YAHU in their title also, which
> would make their names(archaic Hebrew names):
>
> ISIAH - YASHAYAHU JOEL - YAHUUL NEHEMIAH - NACHUNYAHU
> JEREMIAH - YIRMEYAHU NAHUM - NAHUMYAHU HEZIKIAH - HEZEKAYAHU
> MICIAH - MIKAYAHU ELIJAH - ULIYAHU JEHOSHAPHAT-
> YAHUSHAPHAT
> ZEPHANIAH - TSEPHANYAHU SOLOMON - YADIDYAHU
> MATTHEW - MATTANYAHU HOSHEA - HOSHEAYAHU
> OBADIAH - OBADYAHU JUDAH - YAHUDAH
> JOSHUA - YAHUSHUA JOSEPH - YAHUSEPH
> ZECHARIAH - ZAKARYAHU JOHN - YAHUKANANV
> JOSHUA - YAHUSHUA JOSEPH - YAHUSEPH
> ZECHARIAH - ZAKARYAHU JOHN - YAHUKANAN
>
> What does the list think?

There is much that can be corrected here but I will have to get to it
when I
return (going fishing). I will address "Joseph" since that is my name.
the JO- of Joseph is NOT a theophoric and therefore not "YAHU-sef."
ywsf is the fut. of ysf (to add or augment) and therefore "Let him add."

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net

http://www.historian.net