b-hebrew - Re: Nathan's Parable

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rodney K. Duke" <dukerk AT appstate.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Nathan's Parable
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:50:27 -0400

Lee,

Great question! It seems to me that the "structures" of narrative (i.e. that
which makes a narrative
a narrative) are simply the same whether the referent of the narrative
existed in real time and space
or not. Without external corroborating data, one cannot tell factual
narrative from fictional
narrative APART FROM the kinds of genre clues that communities develop (e.g.
a newspaper dateline vs.
"Once upon a time"). So, for me the question becomes, "What were the ancient
Hebrew genre clues that
signaled whether one was intending to communicate via a historical narrative
or a fictional
narrative?" I would love to learn from the list members what they think
these genre clues are.
Rodney

--
Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Univ., Boone, NC 28608