b-hebrew - The meaning of raqia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew Kulikovsky <anku AT CelsiusTech.com.au>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The meaning of raqia
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:08:36 +0930

Does anyone here have the latest English edition of Kohler-Baumgardner? Or
anything else comparable? I am after the most accurate definition of the
semantic range of RaQiYa but I only have BDB and TWOT.

The LXX renders it as STEREOMA, and BDB gives firmanent as a possible
rendering, suggesting that it is firm and solid, but TWOT suggests that this
is an import of Greek cosmology from the time the LXX was put together.

cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew S. Kulikovsky B.App.Sc(Hons) MACS
Software Engineer

"The road to tyranny, we must never forget,
is the destruction of the truth."
-- President Bill Clinton, during a
speech at the University of
Connecticut, 1995.