b-hebrew - Isaiah 53 Servant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Isaiah 53 Servant
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 08:20:39 +1000

John Ronning wrote:

> [...] Jim's interpretation is about the best one can do with naturalistic
> presuppositions, but it is contraindicated by Isa 52:14 which compares
> the servant's sufferings with Israel's suffering of the exile
> Just as many were appalled at you [Israel]
> So his [the servant's] appearance was marred, etc.
> And Israel is never described as without sin, as the servant is here.

Wouldn't it be better to interpret the "Servant" as the *faithful remnant* of
the exiles, much in
the same way Habaqquq wonders why the "innocent" are suffering at the hands
of the enemy along with
the guilty? Perhaps we could even identify the remnant as the prophet's own
community in exile?

Just a suggestion.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm