b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 53 HELP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: Lewis Reich <lbr AT sprynet.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 53 HELP
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 16:49:52 -0700

I'd just like to point out that any reader of Isaiah in its original
7th century setting would have likely been quite familiar with Levitical
practices and the terminology of Leviticus. KPR and its uses would
already have readers or hearers quite ready to deal with "atonement"
concepts. Linguistically speaking, prepositions are fairly flexible
things. Attaching a given meaning in particular context is tricky. SO
I wouldn't defend "for the sake of" in this context to the bitter end
but there is nothing about the implied reader of Isa 53 that I can tell
hat would disallow this. Read in the light of Isa 1, "though your sins
be as scarlet...", finding "for the sake of " in MiN here seems
perfectly in context to me. Then again, I admit freely that this passage
is a continuing subject of debate.

Ken Litwak