b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 53 Servant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 53 Servant
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 15:43:51 -0700

George Athas wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better to interpret the "Servant" as the *faithful remnant*
> of the exiles, much in
> the same way Habaqquq wonders why the "innocent" are suffering at the hands
> of the enemy along with
> the guilty? Perhaps we could even identify the remnant as the prophet's own
> community in exile?
>
> Just a suggestion.
> Dear George,

The problem I see with that is that the prophet numbers himself (and
presumably the rest of the remnant) with the sinners for whom the servant
suffered.
v. 7 The Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
(and other similar thoughts throughout)

The righteous servant who is contrasted with unrighteous Israel the
servant (prior to Isaiah 53) seems to be an individual, and there are
also a number of parallels between his (spiritual) work of redemption and
the (physical) redemption brought about by Cyrus (obviously also an
individual) - Cyrus is even called God's "anointed" and "shepherd."

Parallels to Genesis 22 (lamb led to the slaughter; idea of human
sacrifice, etc.) might also be seen as pointing to an individual (a la
Isaac).

Similarity between Isa 11:2 and Isa 42:1 might also serve to connect the
servant with the branch from Jesse (Isa 11:1).

As with many prophecies, the fulfillment helps with the interpretation
(e.g. Isa 53:9 his grave was assigned with wicked men, yet he
was with a rich man in his death - Matt 27:57).

Regards,

John Ronning