b-hebrew - Re: The meaning of raqia

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT utc.campuscw.net>
  • To: Andrew Kulikovsky <anku AT CelsiusTech.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The meaning of raqia
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 08:46:52 -0400

Andrew:

The New K&B give the following:

the beaten metal plate or bow; firmament, the the firm vault of heaven:
Sept. steoroma, vulg. firmamentus; by raqi`a was understood ths gigantic
healvenly dome which was the source of the light that brooded over the
heavenly ocean and of which the dome arched above the earthly globe. (see
von Rad TWNT 5:501),.

It then goes on to give the meanings of raqi`a by itself and then with the
verb "haya" (to be).

I would check Botterweck and Ringgren's TDOT and Van Gemeren's DOTTE
in additon to what you've already checked

Kevin

At 09:08 AM 4/19/99 +0930, you wrote:
>Does anyone here have the latest English edition of Kohler-Baumgardner? Or
>anything else comparable? I am after the most accurate definition of the
>semantic range of RaQiYa but I only have BDB and TWOT.
>
>The LXX renders it as STEREOMA, and BDB gives firmanent as a possible
>rendering, suggesting that it is firm and solid, but TWOT suggests that this
>is an import of Greek cosmology from the time the LXX was put together.
>
>cheers,
>Andrew
>--
>Andrew S. Kulikovsky B.App.Sc(Hons) MACS
>Software Engineer
>Celsius
> CelsiusTech
>Endeavour House, Technology Park S.A. 5095
>Phone : +61 8 8343 3837 (Direct) Fax : +61 8 8343 3778
>Email : anku AT celsiustech.com.au
>
>"The road to tyranny, we must never forget,
>is the destruction of the truth."
> -- President Bill Clinton, during a
> speech at the University of
> Connecticut, 1995.
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: cierpke AT utc.campuscw.net
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT utc.campuscw.net (preferred)
kwoodruf AT utkux.utcc.utk.edu (alternate)