b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 53 Servant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gregory and Carol Yeager <cgyeager AT mwci.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 53 Servant
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:52:51 -0500

> GEORGE ATHAS writes:

> Wouldn't it be better to interpret the "Servant" as the *faithful remnant*
> of the exiles, much in
> the same way Habaqquq wonders why the "innocent" are suffering at the hands
> of the enemy along with
> the guilty? Perhaps we could even identify the remnant as the prophet's own
> community in exile?
>
> Just a suggestion.

It is a mistake to engage again in inter-tradition rivalry and questions
of right and wrong interpretation. It seems clearly that a three fold
interp. of the Servant is needed. Once he is called Israel. Other
places it seems he is the Remnant. Other places it seems clear he is an
individual. This is prophecy - to claim one interpretation, in this
passage at least, is superior to the others is, in my mind, only a show
of partisanship.

Peace to all exegetes, even those of different traditions
Gregory Yeager
Dubuque Iowa USA