b-hebrew - Re[2]: Text and inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Text and inspiration
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:42:36 -0400

Dear Andre,

Thank you for your interesting and thought-provoking presentation of
the Orthodox view. I was of course aware that my views were not
exactly those of the Orthodox tradition - and I am glad that you have
not tried to defend the LXX as authoritative. For practical purposes
we agree. Although I would personally go a little further in seeing
divine providence as well as fallible human care behind the
preservation of the MT, I am not sure now that "inspiration" is the
most helpful category for expressing this.

Peter Kirk