b-hebrew - Re: Text and inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Text and inspiration
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:09:29 -0400

The view that you have stated seems to be a very mechanical, artificial,
rationalistic, western, non-biblical view of inspiration, but very much in
line with
American evangelicalism. It is not my view of inspiration.
Lee R. Martin

peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG wrote:

> This prompts a controversial suggestion which I would like to float,
> not as my fixed opinion but as an idea I am toying with: The works in
> the Hebrew Bible can be considered as having arrived at a stable and
> generally accepted canonical form only with the formation of the
> proto-Masoretic text type (as already witnessed at Qumran, e.g. in the
> Isaiah scroll). Therefore the text form which should be considered
> "inspired" (in whatever sense anyone might want to take that) is this
> proto-Masoretic text, and the textual basis for Christian (and
> presumably Jewish, though I cannot speak for that) teaching and for
> general purpose Bible translations should be the proto-Masoretic text.
> Therefore (except of course for scholarly research) LXX, Samaritan
> Pentateuch and other early variant texts and versions derived from
> them should be used only for clarification of MT and not to correct
> the text, except where there is good reason to believe that the MT
> does not reflect the proto-MT. I would include the Masoretic
> vocalisation in this to the extent that it can be considered an
> accurate reflection of the vocalisation understood by those who
> stabilised the proto-MT.
>
> Comments?
>
> Peter Kirk

> _________________________________
> Subject: Re: Hebrew vowel pointings in the MT
> Author: atombomb AT sirius.com at internet
> Date: 07/04/1999 13:03
>
> Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:
>
> > Only the autographs are inspired.
>
> Andrew: Your other question (not quoted here) about the origin of the
> vowel pointings is a good one, but I would quibble with the aforegoing
> statement. Only the autographs are inspired, unless the text belonged
> to, and in some sense was written by, a community which closed its canon
> (and I mean the canon of any single work) at a later stage in the process.
>
> Regards to all.
>
> John Burnett
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: lmartin AT vol.com

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee
Instructor in Hebrew and Old Testament
Church of God Theological Seminary
http://earth.vol.com/~lmartin/