b-hebrew - Re: Text and inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Doug Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Text and inspiration
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 09:48:35 -0400

Dear Doug,
Point well taken.
I agree with your and Peter's concept of "default text." What I object to is
the
identification of "inspiration" with the "proto-Masoretic text," as Peter
called it.
If he had omitted the word "inspired" I would have agreed with his post.
Furthermore,
someone (I don't remember who) had said, "only the autographs are inspired."
If that
is true, then we have no inspired Scripture. 2 Tim 3:16 suggests to me that
the early
Christian community did not hold to such a view. Since they used the Greek
translation as "Scripture" they apparently considered it to be "inspired."

--

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee