b-hebrew - Re[2]: Text and inspiration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Text and inspiration
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:48:00 -0400

Dear Lee,

I brought in the idea of inspiration in response to the comment you
quote that "only the autographs are inspired." I didn't intend
discussion to focus on that issue, but rather on the choice of that
text.

As for 2 Timothy 3:15-16, don't forget that the author Paul was a
"Hebrew of Hebrews" who would have used the Hebrew text himself.
Probably Timothy (whose Jewish mother and grandmother had Greek names)
would have known only Greek translations, and so Paul here accepts
those as Scripture - but then I guess he would have accepted any
translation. Perhaps better to say that Paul was not focusing on any
particular text form when he wrote of inspiration, and to follow his
example. Anyway, Paul's focus was on what was useful for teaching
etc., and few would doubt that of any good translation (though they
might disagree about what makes a good translation!)

So I am quite happy to think primarily in terms of default text, and
to suggest a preference for the proto-Masoretic text as that.

Peter Kirk