b-hebrew - Re: Contemporary Jewish Tanakh Readings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Contemporary Jewish Tanakh Readings
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 06:56:45 +0800

Moshe,

Is there a website or other convenient where one could find listed the Yom
Tov, Daily
Psalms, etc., for each day? I ask this on the list because there are most
likely
others that would be interested in this information.

Thanks,

Paul

Moshe Shulman wrote:

> >Pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering if someone could inform me of
> >contemporary Jewish practice regarding daily/weekly readings from the
> >Tanakh. Specifically, I would like to know how the psalms are read. Are
> >they
> >assigned each day/week to accompany the Torah readings? Are all the psalms
> >used in this way, or a selection? Are they read in order?
>
> Every Shabbat and Yom Tov there is a reading from the Tenach that relates
> to the weekkly (or Yom Tov) portion. The only excepts are the 10 weeks
> before Rosh HaShanah. Then there are two sets of 'types' of readings. The
> first three weeks are about the sins during the first temple that brought
> about it's distrutction (which relates to the fast day of the 9th of Av
> which commemorates this event.) Then there are 7 weeks of redings fromt he
> prophets (primarily Isaiah) of passages of consolation, dealing with the
> redemption from exile.
>
> There are no set readings from Psalms outside of the daily Psalm, which was
> likewise read in the temple. Many have the custom to say Psalms, and finish
> it either, weekly or monthly.
>
> >I am taking a course currently on the Psalms. In this we examined a few
> >contemporary Christian lectionaries and hymnals to see what percentage of
> >the lament psalms were included. The results were not very encouraging,
> >ranging from about 10 to 32%. Someone asked about Jewish practices, but no
> >one was certain. So I thought I would ask the list.
>
> There are a number of Psalms that are in the daily order of prayer, but
> they are small in number. Some extra ones are added for Shabbat and Yom Tov.
> Moshe Shulman mshulman AT ix.netcom.com 718-436-7705
> http://www.pobox.com/~chassidus Chassidus Website
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph