b-hebrew - Re: The "presence" of the Lord

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Weiss" <eweiss AT gte.net>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: The "presence" of the Lord
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 0:51:24

Because someone queried me off-list whether my question was more
theological than linguistic, and since I am reading some helpful responses
to my question - AND to keep any more good thoughts coming - permit me to
elaborate a little more on what I mean by "the presence of the Lord" and
what I am perhaps seeking a better term for:

As I wrote the off-list questioner:

"Well, I hoped to keep it theological/linguistic, i.e., what (if any) term
should be employed to refer to this quasi-biblical phenomenon, which to me
is a scaled-down version of what happened when Solomon dedicated the Temple
(I Kings 8:11) and the priests couldn't stand upright and/or when the place
the disciples were praying in was shaken (Acts 4:31) -- i.e., a physical
manifestation by or of God.

"From my own experience I don't think that it's just psychological, since I
have experienced it on rare occasions and do not think I worked it up
somehow -- since it came on its own with no desire for it on my part, kind
of like a breeze on an otherwise calm day, or like the sudden change when
the temperature sharply drops before a thunderstorm; in other words, a
definite "atmospheric" change in the room. I don't think (when it's
the real thing) that it's psychological, and I don't think it's demonic,
since it usually results in a greater awareness of and respect for the Lord
-- and it doesn't come just because people "want" God to make Himself
present.

"My best guess is still to call it the "glory" of the Lord -- since that is
what filled the Temple so the priests couldn't stand."

Thanks!