b-hebrew - Re: The "presence" of the Lord

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The "presence" of the Lord
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:37:00 -0500

Dear Eric,

Maybe you're looking for $ekon yhvh ("the (verbal) dwelling of YHVH"). The
root shin-koph-nun is often used to express the special presence of the
Lord into which the worshipper would hope to come. See Exo 29:46 which
expresses the purpose of the mi$can ("tabernacle" = same root), Exo 24:16
which associates the glory of YHVH and the verbal activity of $KN, Num 9:22
which associates the "cloud"-manifestation, Deu 12:5, 12:11, 14:23, etc.
which associate the special place of the Lord's choosing at which to meet
Him and bring gifts to Him. See also 1Ki 8:10-12, 2Ch 6:1, Neh 1:9, Psa
68:19, Psa 85:10.

Shalom,
Bryan

----------
> From: Eric Weiss <eweiss AT gte.net>
> To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
> Subject: The "presence" of the Lord
> Date: Sunday, February 28, 1999 6:32 AM
>
> In Charismatic Christian circles, in which I have often moved, a frequent

> expression is "the presence of the Lord" (or "the presence of the Holy
> Spirit"). This is used to refer to that palpable "feeling" (whether real
or
> subjective - but it is real to those who sense it) of a change (usually)
in
> the "atmosphere" of the meeting room - a kind of "heaviness" or
"thickness"
> or "warmness" or "closeness" of SOMETHING, which is connected with the
idea
> that God has somehow drawn closer or come into the room or expressed
> Himself in a way which can be "felt."
>
> My question is whether "presence of the Lord" is the proper terminology.
> For "presence" in the Hebrew Bible (this phrase doesn't seem to occur
much
> in the New Testament) seems often to be a translation of PaNaH or LiFNeY
-
> "face" or "to/before the face of (someone)." Yet those saying that "the
> presence of the Lord is here" don't usually mean that we are before the
> face of the Lord or that He is with us in the same sense as when the
Bible
> says LiFNeY YHWH. My guess is that something closer to KeBoD -
> "glory/heaviness" (equivalent to the Greek DOXA?) - may be a better term
> for what is meant, though when Charismatics speak of "the glory of the
> Lord," they are probably referring to something that manifests itself
> visibly, not just to the sense of touch.
>
> Any thoughts or help?

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church