b-hebrew - 2Ki 20:7 and Isa 38:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 2Ki 20:7 and Isa 38:21
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 00:20:25 -0500

Hi Rolf,

you wrote:
>suggests a future/modal setting for both 2 Kings 20:7 and Isaiah 38:21.
The
>versions tend to agree with this setting. Regarding the last verb xyh,
>according to my notes which I cannot check at the moment, we find the
>following renderings:
>2 Kings 20:7; LXX: future, Peshitta: waw + participle, Vulgate: perfect,
>Targum: waw + perfect, Ge'ez: waw + subjunctive
>Isaiah 38:21; adjective + future, Peshitta: waw + participle, Vulgate,
>present passive; Targum: waw + imperfect, Ge'ez: waw + subjunctive.
>The problems of differentiating between weyiqtol and wayyiqtol in
unpointed
>texts is also adequately illustrated by these two verses. Just delete the
>vowels, and try to find the time setting without them.
>
>To the TAM-niks on the list: would you argue for a similar time setting,
or
>that Isaiah uses a future/modal setting and that 2 Kings uses a past
>setting?

Taken as is in the MT, I would say the two passages display a different
arrangement of narrator's text and character's text (or direct speech). In
2 Ki 20:7, the character's text ends after one clause containing an
imperative. The wayyiqtol's are narrator's text. In contrast, I would say
the Isa 38:21 is all character's text (except for the initial speech intro
formula). As you have pointed out, several translations seem to cast doubt
onthe pointing of the 2 Ki text. 2 Ki 20:8 also, logically seems to put
the wayyiqtols in some doubt. I would not be inclined to use this
"doublet" to make conclusions about the verbal system, would you? I don't
really see your point.

I can understand the draw to the Masoretes to point weyiqtols in 2 Ki 20:7
as wayyiqtols. All weyiqtols would signify all character's text. The
actualization of the healing would therefore go unrecorded in the narration
portion of the text, a prospect that would leave the reader in a bit in the
lurch.

In defense of the MT as is, I can suggest the possibility that v. 8 is a
back-loop in the narration.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine